The Trump administration says it will use emergency money to deliver reduced food assistance to more than 42 million Americans as the shutdown drags on with no deal in sight.
In a court filing, the US Department of Agriculture said Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Snap) recipients will receive about half of their usual monthly benefits after the government drew on contingency funds.
“Empty budgets, not empty plates.”
Anonymous

What we Know
Federal judges had set a Monday deadline for the administration to explain how it would keep Snap, commonly called food stamps, going during the shutdown. Funding has been in limbo for more than a month.
States run the program day to day but rely on federal dollars, which have been unavailable since 1 October. Governors and agencies were told they would receive instructions by the end of Monday on how to distribute the reduced aid.
Rulings in Massachusetts and Rhode Island ordered USDA to use roughly $5.25 billion in emergency reserves to make at least partial payments. Snap typically costs about $8 billion each month. Both judges said the contingency fund can be tapped to cover benefits.
What Happening
President Trump previously said he asked government lawyers to seek court guidance on how to legally fund Snap, warning that even quick direction could still mean delays. On Sunday, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent told CNN that payments could go out as soon as Wednesday but that officials must follow the proper process.
Late last month USDA said it would stop food assistance on 1 November because “the well has run dry.” About half the states and the District of Columbia sued to block the freeze, arguing they are obligated to keep benefits flowing. Several cities and nonprofits filed separate suits, and some states said they would front their own money if necessary.
Snap provides reloadable debit cards that low-income households use to buy groceries. A typical family of four receives about $715 a month, which works out to a little under $6 per person each day.



